Gå til innhold
Hundesonen.no

"Conservation" synonym for "revenue"

Gjest

Man tenker ofte at "pyttsann, en hai er jo ikke så nøye med". Denne mannen har skrevet en interessant artikkel som belyser hvor forjævlig hai har det i akvariums i Japan. De holdes i akvariumene under banneret "conservation".

http://kokophotography.org/journal/2016/7/24/koko-x-keiko-captivitykills-at-okinawa-churaumi-aquarium

Utdrag:

"As conservationists, we like to think of captivity as a "black and white" matter. Captivity is immoral. Especially after recent documentaries such as "The Cove" and "Blackfish" have brought the issue of the ethics of captivity to light, you now very rarely come across those who agree with cetaceans remaining in captivity. But where do we draw the line on which species are acceptable or suitable for captivity and which are not? Should that factor be based on intelligence? Should it be based on the ability to sufficiently reproduce their natural environment and provide instinctual enrichment? Or perhaps it is currently based on those species which humans project anthropomorphic emotion onto? Of course everyone adores dolphins and orcas. We relate to them as a species because of their social and familial bonds, their emotional responses, and their big wide "smiles". But consider this for just a moment... if it is not okay to keep a cetacean in a tank, why would it be ethically indifferent to keep large pelagic sharks in one? Or even something as simple as a reef fish? Who are we as a species to decide the ethical importance of the others inhabiting this planet? 

Captivity is not black and white at all. It is a thousand different hues of gray."

Utdrag 2:

"For the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium, there is no "grey area". They have taken very little effort to create a healthy, proper environment for their animals. This aquarium also houses dolphins, false killer whales, and manatees. In 2010 their wild-caught false killer whale jumped out of the tank during a show, landing on the cement in a desperate attempt to escape. They called this behavior "playful" in a press conference following the incident. They have a very long way to go to be considered a respected institution in terms of their enrichment, husbandry, and conservation efforts. I knew I would be disappointed by their lack of respect for wildlife, but I had no idea just how severe it would be. The health of the animals is not a priority. Education for the public is not a priority. Conservation and research is not a priority.

Financial revenue is priority, and that was abundantly clear. 

So congratulations to the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium for making Keiko Conservation's list of "wildlife attractions to never visit". 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider